In this article we are going to explain how to get a food license in India from FoSCoS FSSAI, Obtaining a food license in India is mandatory for all individuals or businesses involved in food-related activities.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is the regulating body to monitor the food business in India to ensure food safety and food quality. FSSAI License is provided by FSSAI to ensure the Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS).
This step-by-step guide will help you to understand step by step process to get an FSSAI license in India.
Step By Step Process to Apply for FSSAI License:
Step 1: Determine the Type of Food License:
- First of all, you need to identify the type of FSSAI license is required based on your food business’s scale and turnover:
Basic Registration: Basic registration or Basic License is the most common registration for small-scale businesses with an annual turnover of up to ₹12 lakhs.
- State Food License: State FSSAI License is for Medium-sized businesses operating statewide or within the state with an annual turnover between ₹12 lakhs to ₹20 crores.
- Central Food License: All large-scale businesses and large organizations that have an annual turnover of more than ₹20 crores, and dealing for food business in more than one state.
Step 2: Required Documents to apply for Food License.
- To apply for FSSAI License in India you need the below documents.
- Identity proof and address proof of the proprietor/partners/directors. (any of these documents like an Aadhar Card, PAN Card, Ration Card, or Voter ID can be used).
- Proof of premises ownership or rental/lease agreement. (any of the documents like Sale Deed, Ownership Deed, Electricity Bill, Water Bill, House Tax, etc.)
- List of food products to be manufactured or sold. (You need to maintain a list of all the food items you want to get a license for).
- Partnership deed, MOA/AOA, or certificate of incorporation . (In case you have more than one owner for that business.)
- Additional documents are specific to your food business.
- You may also need a few specific documents depending on the business type.
Step 3: Official Portal to Apply Online for Food License.
Access FSSAI Registration Portal: Visit the official FSSAI website and access the FSSAI Registration portal.
You can see 3 options there, Apply for New License Registration, Apply for Renewal, and Modification of License or Registration.
Step 4: Click on Apply for a new License.
Then you will see the below 3 options to choose where your business actually located, if you are running a business other than a Railway station or Airport, then select General.
Step 5: Select Your State to apply for Food License.
As shown in the Image below you can select your state name as all the states and UTs are mentioned there.
Step 6: Select the Type of Business.
See below business type and select one or more categories matching to your FoSCoS FSSAI food license needs and select the category if you need a central license, then click next.
Step 7: Fill out The Application Details for Food License.
After clicking next you will need to fill in all the required details for your Online Registration FoSCoS FSSAI Food License which includes your business name, and what exactly you are going to manufacture or supply or distribute, click Save & Next, and you will be redirected to the next page.
Step 8: Upload all required documents for FSSAI Food License from FoSCos.
Upload scanned copies of the required documents mentioned in Step 2 and also make sure that all the documents are having good quality, clear and legible.
Step 9: Submit the application to apply for Food License in India
When you are done submitting all the documents click submit, and then you will be redirected to the payment page.
Step 10: Pay the Fees for Food License:
Pay the applicable registration fees online for food licenses through the portal using API or Cards, foscos fssai food license fee amount varies based on the type of license and the registration duration.
Step 11: Track Application Status:
After submitting the application, you will get a reference number then you can track the status of your application using that reference number online through the FSSAI Registration portal, however, it doesn’t take much time.
Step 12: Inspection and Verification for Food License:
FSSAI may also do an inspection of your premises and verify the provided information.
Step 13: Issuance of License for Food License:
If everything is good according to FoSCoS and found clear, FSSAI will issue the food license. The license will contain a 14-digit registration or license number, which must be printed on all food packages, the you can directly food license download.
You may also be interested in reading:
Obtaining a food license in India is a crucial step for any individual or business involved in the food industry. Following the step-by-step process outlined above, you can ensure compliance with FSSAI regulations and operate your food business legally and safely.
Can we register online for a food license?
You can submit these documents online now as the entire procedure to obtain an FSSAI license in Karnataka is online.
What is the cost of a new food license in India?
Fees for Food License in India depend on application to application and the number of businesses
As per FSSAI Fee Structure
Fees for the New Food license are Rs. 7500 INR for Central License and Rs. 100 for Basic License.
What are the fees for food license renewal in India?
The Fee for Food license renewal is Rs. 7500 INR for Central License and Rs. 100 for a Basic license.
What are the fees of duplicate food licenses in India?
Duplicate food license fees are 10% of the applicable license.
Duplicate food license fees are the 10% of the applicable license.
FoSCos is the Food Safety Compliance System of FSSAI.
How to download a food license online?
Once your online application is accepted by FSSAI, you can use the reference number and OTP to download a food license.
What is FSSAI or what is FSSAI Full Form?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).